Re: Cannot find a working 64-bit integer type on Illumos

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Cannot find a working 64-bit integer type on Illumos
Дата
Re: Cannot find a working 64-bit integer type on Illumos  (Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 18.04.24 02:31, Thomas Munro wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 23, 2024 at 3:23 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> writes:
>>> . o O ( int64_t, PRIdi64, etc were standardised a quarter of a century ago )
>>
>> Yeah.  Now that we require C99 it's probably reasonable to assume
>> that those things exist.  I wouldn't be in favor of ripping out our
>> existing notations like UINT64CONST, because the code churn would be
>> substantial and the gain minimal.  But we could imagine reimplementing
>> that stuff atop <stdint.h> and then getting rid of the configure-time
>> probes.
>
> I played around with this a bit, but am not quite there yet.

Looks promising.

> printf() is a little tricky.  The standard wants us to use
> <inttypes.h>'s PRId64 etc, but that might confuse our snprintf.c (in
> theory, probably not in practice).  "ll" should have the right size on
> all systems, but gets warnings from the printf format string checker
> on systems where "l" is the right type.

I'm not sure I understand the problem here.  Do you mean that in theory
a platform's PRId64 could be something other than "l" or "ll"?

> For limits, why do we have this:
>
> - * stdint.h limits aren't guaranteed to have compatible types with our fixed
> - * width types. So just define our own.
>
> ?  I mean, how could they not have compatible types?

Maybe this means something like our int64 is long long int but the
system's int64_t is long int underneath, but I don't see how that would
matter for the limit macros.

> I noticed that configure.ac checks if int64 (no "_t") might be defined
> already by system header pollution, but meson.build doesn't.  That's
> an inconsistency that should be fixed, but which way?  Hmm, commit
> 15abc7788e6 said that was done for BeOS, which we de-supported.  So
> maybe we should get rid of that?

I had a vague recollection that it was for AIX, but the commit indeed
mentions BeOS.  Could be removed in either case.

От: "Andrey M. Borodin"
Сообщение: Re: plenty code is confused about function level static
От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: Re: Support a wildcard in backtrace_functions