Re: Hunting Unused Indexes .. is it this simple ?

От Gurjeet Singh
Тема Re: Hunting Unused Indexes .. is it this simple ?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 7:35 PM, Stef Telford <stef@ummon.com> wrote:
Hey Everyone,
  So, I have a nice postgreSQL server (8.4) up and running our database. I even managed to get master->slave going without trouble using the excellent skytools.. however, I want to maximize speed and the hot updates where possible, so, I am wanting to prune unused indexes from the database.

  is it as simple as taking the output from ; select indexrelname from pg_stat_user_indexes where idx_scan = 0 and idx_tup_read = 0 and idx_tup_fetch = 0 ;

  And  .. dropping ?

  The reason I ask is, well, the count on that gives me 750 indexes where-as the count on all user_indexes is 1100. About 2/3rds of them are obsolete ? I did do an ETL from mySQL -> postgreSQL but.. that's still a ridiculous amount of (potentially) unused indexes.

Yes, those numbers can be used reliably to identify unused indexes.

Best regards,
--
Call it Postgres

EnterpriseDB      http://www.enterprisedb.com

gurjeet[.singh]@EnterpriseDB.com

singh.gurjeet@{ gmail | hotmail | indiatimes | yahoo }.com
Twitter: singh_gurjeet
Skype: singh_gurjeet

Mail sent from my BlackLaptop device

От: Andy Colson
Сообщение: Re: High CPU load on Postgres Server during Peak times!!!!
От: Andy Colson
Сообщение: Re: Hunting Unused Indexes .. is it this simple ?