Re: explain output infelicity in psql

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: explain output infelicity in psql
Дата
Re: explain output infelicity in psql  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 8:11 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>>

>> Tom Lane wrote:
>> > regression=# select
E'xxxxxxx\nxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx\nxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
>> >     as a, 1 as b;
>> >                           a                           | b
>> > ------------------------------------------------------+---
>> >  xxxxxxx                                             +| 1
>> >  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                  +|
>> >  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx |
>> > (1 row)
>> >
>> > regression=#
>> >
>> > The point here is exactly that previous versions didn't show the
>> > distinction well.
>> >

>> If we really want to make linefeeds visible, I think we should place the
>> indicators immediately after the character preceding the line feed, not
>> next to the column separator.
>
> One idea would be to change the column _separator_ for newlines --- that
> way, they don't show up for single-column output.

Hilariously enough, that's exactly what we used to do.  I am leaning
toward the view that we should revert all the ASCII output format
changes vs. 8.4 and let people use the new unicode mode if they want
all the spiffy bells and whistles.

...Robert

От: Takahiro Itagaki
Сообщение: Re: YAML Was: CommitFest status/management
От: KaiGai Kohei
Сообщение: Re: Largeobject Access Controls (r2460)