Re: Do we want a hashset type?

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Do we want a hashset type?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 2023-06-11 Su 06:26, Joel Jacobson wrote:
On Sat, Jun 10, 2023, at 22:26, Tomas Vondra wrote:
On 6/10/23 17:46, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
Maybe you can post a full patch as well as incremental?

I wonder if we should keep discussing this extension here, considering
it's going to be out of core (at least for now). Not sure how many
pgsql-hackers are interested in this, so maybe we should just move it to
github PRs or something ...
I think there are some good arguments that speaks in favour of including it in core:

1. It's a fundamental data structure.

That's reason enough IMNSHO.

Perhaps "set" would have been a better name,
since the use of hash functions from an end-user perspective is implementation
details, but we cannot use that word since it's a reserved keyword, hence "hashset".

Rather than use "hashset", which as you say is based on an implementation detail, I would prefer something like "integer_set" - what it's a set of.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan
EDB: https://www.enterprisedb.com

От: Tomas Vondra
Сообщение: Should heapam_estimate_rel_size consider fillfactor?
От: Tomas Vondra
Сообщение: Re: Do we want a hashset type?