Re: Further clarification in documentation: No deletion of unreferenced large objects

От Laurenz Albe
Тема Re: Further clarification in documentation: No deletion of unreferenced large objects
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Mon, 2023-06-12 at 13:48 +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:
> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/datatype-binary.html
>
> When deleting a row that references (contains) a large object, I think that
> most users expect the DBMS to take care of the, now unreferenced, BLOB. It's
> good to know that PostgreSQL handles this differently and that one must
> periodically use vacuumlo to avoid BLOB data piling up. At least, that's
> what I understood.
>
> I think a small paragraph in the documentation about this would help many
> people. I can help with writing, if needed.

This is documented here:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/lo.html

Admittedly, that is not the best place.  Perhaps the introductory chapter
in https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/lo-intro.html would be a good
place to mention that there is no referential integrity to large objects.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

От: "David G. Johnston"
Сообщение: Re: Further clarification in documentation: No deletion of unreferenced large objects
От: Oliver Marienfeld
Сообщение: Re: Further clarification in documentation: No deletion of unreferenced large objects