Re: Uber migrated from Postgres to MySQL

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Uber migrated from Postgres to MySQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 07/28/2016 04:58 PM, Joe Conway wrote:
> On 07/28/2016 03:16 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> Not really true. I ran into two separate cases where on older (pre 9.3 I
> believe) Postgres if you had hundreds of thousands of tables (in the
> case I remember well, it was about 500k tables) the schema dump from the
> old cluster basically never finished (ok, was killed after about a
> week). I had to find the patch that fixed a good bit of the slowness and
> backport it to the older version so we could successfully run pg_upgrade
> (in something like 14 hours instead of 7+ days).

Correct, I don't know if it is still true but definitely pre 9.3, if you
had lots and lots of tables, you were looking at very long times to
actually start a dump. The thing is, although 500k tables is very rare,
10k tables isn't nearly as rare. That would still take entirely too long.

Sincerely,

jD

                         +1-503-667-4564
Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.

От: Joe Conway
Сообщение: Re: Uber migrated from Postgres to MySQL
От: Chris Travers
Сообщение: Re: Uber migrated from Postgres to MySQL