Re: WIP: CoC

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: WIP: CoC
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 01/11/2016 02:27 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On 01/11/2016 02:22 PM, Brian Dunavant wrote:
>>> 3. A safe, respectful, productive and collaborative environment is free
>>> comments related to gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical
>>> appearance, body size or race.
>>
>> I think you meant "free OF comments".
>
> I did.
>

>> However it still picks a few special classes of complaint, some of
>> which cause ambiguity such as 'gender'.  Does that mean I can't use
>> "he/she" pronouns?  It also implies that i'm allowed to criticize
>> people in other ways, say, their political affiliation or country.
>> Rather than list a bunch of "no no" perhaps something like:
>>
>> "3)  A safe, respectful, productive and collaborative environment is
>> free of negative personal criticism directed at a member of a
>> community, rather than at the technical merit of a topic."
>>

> First, I want to make sure we don't get too far into the weeds here.

That is exactly where this is going to go. From a previous example given
as something to emulate:

http://couchdb.apache.org/conduct.html

Diversity Statement

" ... No matter how you identify yourself or how others perceive you: we
welcome you. Though no list can hope to be comprehensive, we explicitly
honour diversity in: age, culture, ethnicity, genotype, gender identity
or expression, language, national origin, neurotype, phenotype,
political beliefs, profession, race, religion, sexual orientation,
socioeconomic status, subculture and technical ability. ..."

You start down this path and you create more and more classifications
and explanations of interactions between classifications, until even the
lawyers beg for mercy. In the end it either turns into a mine field of
unreasonable expectations or folks realize that what they really want
can be encapsulated in, 'Be nice'.

> I think your example is a good one but I do think we need examples so
> perhaps:
>
> A safe, respectful, productive and collaborative environment is free
> of non-technical or personal comments related to gender, sexual
> orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size or race.
>
> ???

Per your previous post:

"We could add the word inappropriate.." So who decides what is
appropriate or for that matter safe or respectful? Or do we resort to
the Justice Stewart test, to paraphrase, '"I know it when I see it, and
this is not it". In which case we are back to the eye of the beholder.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com