Re: SSL Certificates in Windows 7 & Postgres 9.3

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: SSL Certificates in Windows 7 & Postgres 9.3
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 12/17/2014 10:14 PM, harpagornis wrote:
> I am developing a Windows desktop application so the client is the desktop
> application.  Depending on the installation, the app will be running in
> single user mode, with the server and client both on only one machine, using
> 127.0.0.1.  In that type of installation, there is little or no reason the
> server and the client cannot share configuration files.  Alternatively, the
> app could be installed for multiple users on a network server.  Even in that
> type of installation, is there some reason that the client should never
> access server configuration files?

Yes, security. In any case for what you are trying to do the server
configuration is not something the client has to fool with.

> Regarding the search_path, when I connected with psql and certificates, I
> was only able to do so after I copied the certificates and keys into the
> Postgres folder located in the Roaming folder, located in the AppData
> folder, located in my Windows User name folder, located in the Windows
> system Users folder.  I thought I read somewhere that particular folder
> derives from the search_path setting.

It is important to remember that SSL is not provided by Postgres, it
just has the ability to use SSL to make a connection. So it just
piggybacks on an existing program. In doing that it makes certain
assumptions to start with.

For server side:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/ssl-tcp.html

For libpq clients:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/libpq-ssl.html

Important the above is for libpq based clients such as psql. I am not
sure how non-libpq clients such as the Postgres JDBC client handle this.

The beginning assumptions can be modified by setting environment
variables(again this is for libpq clients):

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/libpq-envars.html

or the postgresql.conf

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/runtime-config-connection.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-CONNECTION-SECURITY

For information on what search_path really does see:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/runtime-config-client.html

> --

Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

От: Mike Blackwell
Сообщение: pl/pgsql trigger function - compare *most* columns in NEW vs. OLD
От: harpagornis
Сообщение: Re: SSL Certificates in Windows 7 & Postgres 9.3