Re: commitfest.postgresql.org is no longer fit for purpose

От Joe Conway
Тема Re: commitfest.postgresql.org is no longer fit for purpose
Дата
Re: commitfest.postgresql.org is no longer fit for purpose
Список pgsql-hackers
On 5/17/24 08:31, Jelte Fennema-Nio wrote:
> On Fri, 17 May 2024 at 14:19, Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 5/16/24 22:26, Robert Haas wrote:
>> > For example, imagine that the CommitFest is FORCIBLY empty
>> > until a week before it starts. You can still register patches in the
>> > system generally, but that just means they get CI runs, not that
>> > they're scheduled to be reviewed. A week before the CommitFest,
>> > everyone who has a patch registered in the system that still applies
>> > gets an email saying "click here if you think this patch should be
>> > reviewed in the upcoming CommitFest -- if you don't care about the
>> > patch any more or it needs more work before other people review it,
>> > don't click here". Then, the CommitFest ends up containing only the
>> > things where the patch author clicked there during that week.
>>
>> 100% agree. This is in line with what I suggested on an adjacent part of
>> the thread.
>
> Such a proposal would basically mean that no-one that cares about
> their patches getting reviews can go on holiday and leave work behind
> during the week before a commit fest. That seems quite undesirable to
> me.

Well, I'm sure I'll get flamed for this suggestion, be here goes anyway...

I wrote:
> Namely, the week before commitfest I don't actually know if I will have
> the time during that month, but I will make sure my patch is in the
> commitfest just in case I get a few clear days to work on it. Because if
> it isn't there, I can't take advantage of those "found" hours.

A solution to both of these issues (yours and mine) would be to allow
things to be added *during* the CF month. What is the point of having a
"freeze" before every CF anyway? Especially if they start out clean. If
something is ready for review on day 8 of the CF, why not let it be
added for review?

--
Joe Conway
PostgreSQL Contributors Team

От: Daniel Gustafsson
Сообщение: Re: [UNVERIFIED SENDER] pg_upgrade can result in early wraparound on databases with high transaction load
От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: Re: commitfest.postgresql.org is no longer fit for purpose