Re: PostgreSQL settings for running on an SSD drive

От Shaun Thomas
Тема Re: PostgreSQL settings for running on an SSD drive
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 07/17/2013 09:04 PM, Greg Smith wrote:

> I'm working on a completely replacement of that guide, one that actually
> gives out a full set of advice.  Right now I'm between their product
> cycles, I'm expecting new hardware again here soon.

Me too. It's interesting that they seem to be focusing more on using the
cards as a caching layer instead of a directly readable device. I still
need to test that use case.

> This involves a modified PostgreSQL though.  It's not for the
> squeamish or for a production system.

I'd volunteer, but we're actually using EDB. Unless you can convince EDB
to supply similar binaries as you have, I can't get equivalent tests. :(

> I also don't think random_page_cost = seq_page_cost is the best setting,
> even though it did work out for Shaun.  The hardware is fast enough that
> you can make a lot of mistakes without really paying for them though,
> and any query tuning like that is going to be workload dependent.  It's
> impossible to make a single recommendation here.

Very, very true. I actually prefer using different values, and before
9.1, we had random at 1.5, and sequential at 1.0. Some of our query
plans were being adversely affected, and didn't go back to normal until
I reduced random cost to 1.0. I can't explain why that would happen, but
it's not too surprising given that we jumped from 8.2 to 9.1.

Since we're mainly focused on stability right now, getting the old
performance back was the main concern. I haven't revisited the setting
since that initial upgrade and correction, so it's hard to know what the
"right" setting really is. Like you said, there is a lot of room for
tuning based on system usage.

> There are a good number of single and dual socket Intel systems where
> "1/2 the speed of memory" is about right.  There are systems where
> the ratio will be closer to 1:1 or 1:4 though.

Doh, yeah. It also depends on the FusionIO generation and tier you're
working with. Some of their newer/bigger cards with more controller
chips can (purportedly) push upwards of 6GB/s, which is a tad faster
than the 800MB/s (measured) of our ancient gen-1 cards.

Too many variables. -_-

--
Shaun Thomas
312-676-8870

От: Jeff Janes
Сообщение: Re: Re: bgwriter autotuning might be unnecessarily penalizing bursty workloads
От: Stefan Keller
Сообщение: FTS performance issue - planner problem identified (but only partially resolved)