Re: wal stats questions

От Fujii Masao
Тема Re: wal stats questions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 2021/05/18 9:57, Masahiro Ikeda wrote:

> On 2021/05/17 22:34, Fujii Masao wrote:
>>

>> On 2021/05/17 16:39, Masahiro Ikeda wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for your comments!

>>> Yes, fixed.

>>> No, I changed to use 'WAL' only. Although some other comments have 'wal' and
>>> 'WAL', it seems that 'WAL' is often used.
>>
>> Thanks for updating the patch!
>
> Thanks a lot of comments!
>
>> + * Buffer and generated WAL usage counters.
>> + *
>> + * The counters are accumulated values. There are infrastructures
>> + * to add the values and calculate the difference within a specific period.
>>
>> Is it really worth adding these comments here?
>
> BufferUsage has almost same comments. So, I removed it.
>
>> +     * Note: regarding to WAL statistics counters, it's not enough to check
>> +     * only whether the WAL record is generated or not. If a read transaction
>> +     * is executed, WAL records aren't normally generated (although HOT makes
>> +     * WAL records). But, just writes and syncs the WAL data may happen when
>> +     * to flush buffers.
>>
>> Aren't the following comments better?
>>
>> ------------------------------
>> To determine whether any WAL activity has occurred since last time, not only
>> the number of generated WAL records but also the numbers of WAL writes and
>> syncs need to be checked. Because even transaction that generates no WAL
>> records can write or sync WAL data when flushing the data pages.
>> ------------------------------
>
> Thanks. Yes, I fixed it.
>
>> -     * This function can be called even if nothing at all has happened. In
>> -     * this case, avoid sending a completely empty message to the stats
>> -     * collector.
>>
>> I think that it's better to leave this comment as it is.
>
> OK. I leave it.
>
>> +     * First, to check the WAL stats counters were updated.
>> +     *
>> +     * Even if the 'force' is true, we don't need to send the stats if the
>> +     * counters were not updated.
>> +     *
>> +     * We can know whether the counters were updated or not to check only
>> +     * three counters. So, for performance, we don't allocate another memory
>> +     * spaces and check the all stats like pgstat_send_slru().
>>
>> Is it really worth adding these comments here?
>
> I removed them because the following comments are enough.
>
> * This function can be called even if nothing at all has happened. In
> * this case, avoid sending a completely empty message to the stats
> * collector.
>
>> +     * The current 'wal_records' is the same as the previous one means that
>> +     * WAL records weren't generated. So, the counters of 'wal_fpi',
>> +     * 'wal_bytes', 'm_wal_buffers_full' are not updated neither.
>> +     *
>> +     * It's not enough to check the number of generated WAL records, for
>> +     * example the walwriter may write/sync the WAL although it doesn't
> [...]

Thanks for updating the patch! I modified some comments slightly and
pushed that version of the patch.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
Advanced Computing Technology Center

От: Kyotaro Horiguchi
Сообщение: Re: postgres_fdw - should we tighten up batch_size, fetch_size options against non-numeric values?
От: Kyotaro Horiguchi
Сообщение: Re: Multiple pg_waldump --rmgr options