Re: HS/SR and smart shutdown

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: HS/SR and smart shutdown
Дата
Re: HS/SR and smart shutdown  (Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
>> It's a good question if that still makes sense with Hot Standby.
>> Perhaps we should redefine smart shutdown in standby mode to shut down
>> as soon as all read-only connections have died.
>
> It's clear that "smart" shutdown doesn't work while something is active.
> Recovery is "active" and so we shouldn't shutdown. It makes sense, it
> works like this already, lets leave it. Document it if needed.

I don't think it's clear, or intuitive for users.  In SR, recovery is
*never* done, so smart shutdown never completes (even if the master is
shut down, when I tested it).  This is particularly an important issue
when you consider that some/many service and init scripts only use smart
shutdown ... so we'll get a lot of "bug reports" of "posgresql does not
shut down".

HOWEVER, I do believe this is an issue we could live with for 9.0 if
it's going to lead to a whole lot of additional debugging of SR.  But if
it's an easy fix, it'll avoid a lot of complaints on pgsql-general.

--Josh Berkus

От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: PG 9.0 and standard_conforming_strings
От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: HS/SR and smart shutdown