Re: Is there PHP mysql_real_escape_string for postgresql?

От brian
Тема Re: Is there PHP mysql_real_escape_string for postgresql?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Kevin Hunter wrote:

> Serious now, who writes the code for those PHP functions?  Is that a
> call that PHP makes to the respective database or does someone actually
> continually keep the PHP code "up-to-date"?

Well, the credits for the pgsql parts of PHP 5.14 are: Jouni Ahto, Zeev
Suraski, Yasuo Ohgaki, and Chris Kings-Lynne and it uses libpq. As far
as keeping it up-to-date, i suppose that the maintainers of the various
modules do so with each PHP release.

The reason for the oddly-named mysql_real_escape_string is that an older
function, mysql_escape_string() has been deprecated. I wonder, though,
why the new functionality couldn't have simply been rolled into that.
After all, the only differece, AFAIK, is that the newer function takes
the connection handler as the [optional] second param so as to use the
proper character set. So it doesn't seem that it would have been a
problem for legacy code.

Perhaps there's a good reason, though i can't think of any good reason
for the silly new name. But i'm not surprised, given the dearth of
standards in PHP (like dicking around with how params are passed to any
given function--does the needle come first, or the haystack?).

> Second question: why is there not more emphasis on using prepared
> statements?  I was taught at $SCHOOL that prepared statements,
> especially for anything involving unknown user input, is the Right Way.
>  Am I missing something or is the lack of use of these just a noob factor?

I'm late in arriving at this thread but that'd be my advice, too. I
recommend the PEAR MDB2 package.

In regard to your last question, i think a big reason is that, until
fairly recently, prepared statements weren't possible without some sort
of wrapper (eg. MDB2) so a lot of people stuck with shared hosting just
don't have access to them. There are pg_prepare() and pg_execute() now
(for PHP > 5.1) but i haven't needed to use them.

Actually, now i think of it, it is possible to include PEAR packages
locally (ie. from within a particular website as opposed to using an
"installed" setup) but it could be a bit of a dependency pain for
certain packages.

brian

От: Ow Mun Heng
Сообщение: Howto backup all functions?
От: brian
Сообщение: Re: Howto backup all functions?