Re: Native type for storing fractions (e.g 1/3)?

От Florian G. Pflug
Тема Re: Native type for storing fractions (e.g 1/3)?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Ron Johnson wrote:
> CREATE TYPE ty_fraction AS
> (
>     n        SMALLINT,
>     d           SMALLINT
> );

You'd need a type for large integers first - otherwise your
ty_fraction will be quite limited. I think numeric could be
used for that, though I don't know if numeric guarantees that
at least the operators +,-,* and modulo return exact results
(Don't loose digits). But even if they do, using some existing
library for arbitrary sized integers would probably lead to
better performance.

greetings, Florian Pflug

От: "Florian G. Pflug"
Сообщение: Re: PITR and WAL archiving
От: "Florian G. Pflug"
Сообщение: Re: Problem to install pgAdmin