Re: "stopping" a single database in a cluster

От Richard Huxton
Тема Re: "stopping" a single database in a cluster
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Anton Melser wrote:
> Hi,
> Is it possible to stop a single database, like it is with Oracle? Our
> oracle admin asked this for FS backups, if there are 3 dbs (in
> separate tablespaces) then there seems no reason why this couldn't be
> possible... is it possible?

No - the transaction log (WAL) is shared. You'll need to include that in
any filesystem backup.

> ps. If this isn't possible, what experiences do people have with
> running several postgres instances on a single machine?

It's perfectly possible - most of the developers do so, and I do it so I
can test new versions while supporting old ones. Of course, each will
have their own shared memory allocations so that might impact your
performance.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd

От: "Anton Melser"
Сообщение: "stopping" a single database in a cluster
От: Gideon
Сообщение: Database Mirroring Solution