Re: Help with storing spatial (map coordinates) data?

От John Tregea
Тема Re: Help with storing spatial (map coordinates) data?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Thanks Greg,

I don't know in practice if I will need the minutes and seconds, as you
say degrees with decimal information is probably more accurate. If I
store degrees in decimal I will need to convert back and forth though as
people will use GPS to enter lat and long into the system. I need to be
able to work out route lengths for various transport modes as well as
integrating (in the future) with GIS mapping software such as ESRi or
MapInfo.

I have subscribed to the Open Geospatial Consortium and downloaded their
"common architecture" which includes an SQL model... But it is a lot to
take in, so any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks and regards

John

Gregory S. Williamson wrote:
> We have had good success with postGIS for storing various spatial data sets (polygons, points and lines).
>
> They can be found at <http://postgis.refractions.net/>.
>
> We store our data in lat/long but postGIS has many different spatial reference systems defined and I would suspect
thatminutes/seconds exists. You may want to subscribe to and post your question on the postGIS mailing list.

> There are windows-ready compiled versions which seem to work well, although I've only played with them for prototypes
(ourreal database servers are all linux so I can't be of any help on the Windoze front).

От: Joachim Wieland
Сообщение: Re: How can I retrieve a function result?
От: John Tregea
Сообщение: Re: Help with storing spatial (map coordinates) data?