Re: TODO: Add pg_get_acldef(), pg_get_typedefault(), pg_get_attrdef(),

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: TODO: Add pg_get_acldef(), pg_get_typedefault(), pg_get_attrdef(),
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
>>> If all you want is column, datatype, why not just use info_schema, or
>>> newsysviews? Or even the base catalogs?
>
>> Where do I look in the info_schema? How do I know exactly what I need?
>> What is newsysviews?
>
> Exactly the same arguments can be made against any new functions we
> invent.  OTOH, I do not think these arguments apply to selecting from
> information_schema; that is SQL standard, and if someone doesn't know
> what to do with it I don't think it's our fault.

I am not blaming us :).

I am just saying that certain functions can make life easier.

What is easier?

test=# select column_name, data_type from columns where table_schema !=
'pg_catalog' and table_name = 'email'; column_name | data_type
-------------+----------- score       | real

Or:

select pg_get_user_tabledesc(email);

This is the basis of my argument. I don't really have anything to add.

:)

Joshua D. Drake

--
            === The PostgreSQL Company: Command Prompt, Inc. ===      Sales/Support: +1.503.667.4564 || 24x7/Emergency:
+1.800.492.2240     Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: postgresql and process titles
От: "Joshua D. Drake"
Сообщение: Re: TODO: Add pg_get_acldef(), pg_get_typedefault(), pg_get_attrdef(),