Re: Proposal for debugging of server-side stored procedures

От Thomas Hallgren
Тема Re: Proposal for debugging of server-side stored procedures
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Mark Cave-Ayland" <m.cave-ayland@webbased.co.uk> writes:
> ... So basically yeah, what we need
> is a debug subchannel in the FE/BE protocol.  I'd suggest inventing
> a single Debug message type (sendable in both directions) with the
> contents being specified by a separate protocol definition.  Or perhaps
> invert that and imagine the FE/BE protocol as embedded in a debug
> protocol.

I think this is a bad idea. PL/Java will use either shared memory or a socket to attach and
as you already mentioned, when using C, a gdb will attach directly using the pid. I wouldn't
be too surprised if Perl, Python, and PHP all have a similar solution and thus have no
benefit from additions to the FE/BE protocol. IMO, debugging should be language specific and
take place in a separate channel. There's no gain whatsoever mixing it with the FE/BE protocol.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren