Re: Any hope for more specific error message for "value too long..."?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Any hope for more specific error message for "value too long..."?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Ken Tanzer <ken.tanzer@gmail.com> writes:
> Hi.  If you try to assign a too-long string to a field, Postgresql will say
> so, but won't tell you which value/field is causing the problem:
> CREATE TEMP TABLE foo (a VARCHAR(2));
> INSERT INTO foo VALUES ('ABC');
> CREATE TABLE
> ERROR:  value too long for type character varying(2)
> That doesn't matter much in a simple example like that, but the example
> below is currently making me wish PG was just a little bit more specific.
> Is there much chance of this changing in future releases?

It's an issue that's been on the radar screen for a long time, but it's
not very clear how to improve matters without a lot of added overhead
and/or an API break for user-defined data types, neither of which seem
like prices we'd be willing to pay.  For that matter, it's not totally
clear what would constitute an improvement --- what do you wish it would
show you, exactly?  In the particular case here, the fact that a varchar
length coercion is being invoked isn't even explicit in the query.

Good ideas welcome ...

От: "David G. Johnston"
Сообщение: Re: Rationale for PUBLIC having CREATE and USAGE privileges on theschema "public" by default
От: "David G. Johnston"
Сообщение: Re: Any hope for more specific error message for "value too long..."?