Re: Catastrophic changes to PostgreSQL 8.4

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: Catastrophic changes to PostgreSQL 8.4
Дата
Re: Catastrophic changes to PostgreSQL 8.4  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
[moving this point to -hackers]

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 10:49 PM, Adrian Klaver <aklaver@comcast.net> wrote:
> When I tried the above Postgres did not ignore the command, instead it gave me
> the following error and did not create the database:
> CREATE DATABASE bacula ENCODING 'SQL_ASCII';
> ERROR:  new encoding (SQL_ASCII) is incompatible with the encoding of the
> template database (UTF8)
> HINT:  Use the same encoding as in the template database, or use template0 as
> template.

Actually I'm kind of surprised at this. I don't see a reason not to
allow converting a template to SQL_ASCII from any encoding given that
we're going to allow them to put random bytes into the database
afterwards. Why not let them start with random bytes?

--
greg

От: Alvaro Herrera
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] pg_attribute.attnum - wrong column ordinal?
От: Alvaro Herrera
Сообщение: Re: RFC for adding typmods to functions