Re: Force re-compression with lz4

От Mladen Gogala
Тема Re: Force re-compression with lz4
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 10/18/21 11:01, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> ot sure how much this applies to the Postgres usage of lz4. As I
> understand it, this is only used internally for table compression.
> When using pg_dump compression gzip is used. Unless you pipe plain
> text output through some other program.

This applies when using a 3rd party commercial backup tool with
deduplication. You'd be surprised how many people do that. One tool to
backup them all, one tool to find them and on the LTO cartridge backup
them. I apologize for this cheesy paraphrase of Tolkien, but I couldn't
resist. Long story short, for the 3rd party backup tools LZO4
compression will yield better deduplication ratios than other forms of
compression, thereby saving you space.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant

От: Alban Hertroys
Сообщение: Re: Where is the tsrange() function documented?
От: Saurav Sarkar
Сообщение: Connection queuing by connection pooling libraries