Logging select statements

От Rudi Starcevic
Тема Logging select statements
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Hi,

I have an application where user's can view records in a short form with
their first select
and view a long form with a second select.
The first view I term an impression.
The second view I term a click.

I'd like to log the impression's and click's.
I'm wondering which is the most effiecient way to do this.

I know I can do it in the application, PHP, by looping through the
result set and inserting into a logging table but
am wondering if it quicker to write a rule or trigger so that each
individual select is logged into a logging table
as it's selected.

For example:
If I have a table of 3000 row's and the user submits a query which
retrieve's 100 rows.
In the first senario I could loop through the 100, using a language PHP
or Perl, and make 100 inserts after the first select is complete.
Thus 1 select plus 100 inserts.

Can you see a way to do this all in SQL that would be better/faster/more
efficient without using PHP/Perl ?

Many thanks
Regards
Rudi.