Re: Will PG use composite index to enforce foreign keys?

От John Burger
Тема Re: Will PG use composite index to enforce foreign keys?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Gregory Stark wrote:

>> I guess a generalization of my question is whether the FK-
>> checking  machinery
>> simply does a SELECT against the referencing column.
>
> It does

> Actually the query is (effectively, assuming your equality
> operators are named
> "=" and the columns match in type)
>
> SELECT 1
>   FROM ONLY B x
>  WHERE col1=?
>    AND col2=?
>    FOR SHARE OF x
>
> Since it has to take a lock on the record found to ensure it
> doesn't disappear
> before your transaction finishes.

Awesome, this tells me a lot!  So I can use EXPLAIN ANALYZE and a
query like this to reason about what indexes I might need on my
foreign key references.  Thanks!

- John D. Burger
   MITRE

От: brian
Сообщение: Re: initdb - encoding question
От: Andrew Sullivan
Сообщение: Re: HA and Replication - how to choose among all the available solutions