Re: compiling client utils under win32 - current 7.3devel

От Joe Conway
Тема Re: compiling client utils under win32 - current 7.3devel
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> It might work to measure time since the start of the whole process, or
> until the timeout target, rather than accumulating adjustments to the
> "remains" count each time through.  In other words something like
>
>     at start: targettime = time() + specified-timeout
>
>     each time we are about to wait: set select timeout to
>     targettime - time().
>
> This bounds the error at 1 second which is probably good enough (you
> might want to add 1 to targettime to ensure the error is in the
> conservative direction of not timing out too soon).

I was working with this approach, when I noticed on *unmodified* cvs tip
(about a day old):

test=# set statement_timeout=1;
SET
test=# \dt
ERROR:  Query was cancelled.
test=#

At:  http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/runtime-config.html#LOGGING
the setting is described like this:

"STATEMENT_TIMEOUT (integer)

Aborts any statement that takes over the specified number of milliseconds. A
value of zero turns off the timer."

The proposed change will take this to a 1 second granularity anyway, so I was
thinking we should change the setting to have a UOM of seconds, and fix the
documentation. Any comments or concerns with regard to this plan?

Thanks,

Joe

От: Gavin Sherry
Сообщение: Re: Insert Performance
От: Curt Sampson
Сообщение: Re: PGXLOG variable worthwhile?