Re: [GENERAL] Large database

От Rachel Greenham
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Large database
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Graham Daley wrote:

> I'm considering using Postgresql for an application which could very likely require a database to grow up to about
1TBin size.

> 1. Is this possible with Postresql on Linux?
>
> 2. Is it possible for database tables to span files on more than one disk partition? I'm aware that it splits files
into2GB chunks automatically, but is it possible for these files to reside on more than one partition?

> 3. What's the biggest known database currently running on Postgresql?
>
> Thanks for your help!,

I think in all honesty you might be better off with Oracle, probably
under Solaris. If it's that big a project the investment is probably
worthwhile. I hate to say this, as I love Linux and Postgres. Linux can
now apparently handle 1Tb partitions but it's still Experimental, so
while Oracle does now exist for Linux, if it's important I'd say go for
a Solaris solution.

I'd love to be proven wrong on this BTW, but the "use Oracle" advice
does come from a Linux kernel core team member to whom I mentioned this.
(Terribly useful to be living with such a person. :-))

While Linux can run on pretty big iron these days, it doesn't really
scale up to really big systems very elegantly. This is set to change
with 2.4 of course, but right now Linux aint happy going that big.

--
Rachel