Re: [HACKERS] (don't know who else to tell) 6.5 gets build on LinuxPPCR5 but fails a lot of regr. tests

От Thomas Lockhart
Тема Re: [HACKERS] (don't know who else to tell) 6.5 gets build on LinuxPPCR5 but fails a lot of regr. tests
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> how bad is it that -O2 will not work? LinuxPPCR5 probably is not one of the
> main platforms postgres is running on.
> If not being able to -O2 the compile is really bad for perfomance a note in
> the INSTALL would be in order to let people know that running on LinuxPPCR5
> is not going to be a fast ride, and that the postgres dev team is aware of
> the problem and that is being worked on :)

My vague recollection is that for other platforms (Alpha, i686) -O2 vs
-O0 is a 30% kind of improvement on typical code (I've not measured
this for Postgres). Of course, some sample code which is dominated by
tight loops with unfortunate style might show much bigger improvement,
but to say the least Postgres probably isn't in that category.

So it really isn't *that* big a deal until you get to large DBs or
large loading.
                            - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

От: The Hermit Hacker
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] 'idle' processes in v6.5?
От: Thomas Lockhart
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] 'idle' processes in v6.5?