Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft

От Joe Conway
Тема Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 5/11/21 1:30 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 12:31:01PM -0400, Joe Conway wrote:

>> > I am just confused why attribute numbers are handled differently than
>> > attribute names.
>>
>> I am not entirely sure, but that boat sailed a long time ago and really has
>> nothing to do with this patch ;-)
>
> It just feels like this change makes the function's behavior less
> consistent.

See Tom's commit message here:
https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commit;h=3d0f68dd30612

In particular:

   "The variants of these functions that take
    numeric inputs (OIDs or column numbers) are
    supposed to return NULL rather than failing
    on bad input; this rule reduces problems with
    snapshot skew when queries apply the functions
    to all rows of a catalog."

Joe
--
Crunchy Data - http://crunchydata.com

От: Heikki Linnakangas
Сообщение: Re: Let's get rid of serial_schedule
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Let's get rid of serial_schedule