Re: [100% SPAM] Re: Memory usage per postmaster process

От Grzegorz Tańczyk
Тема Re: [100% SPAM] Re: Memory usage per postmaster process
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 11/02/2013 07:47 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 11/2/2013 11:03 AM, Grzegorz Tańczyk wrote:
>>
>> Is there any way to limit total memory usage by postgres and keep
>> maximum connections limit? Postgresql.conf settings are default for
>> 8.3.23. I need to have 100 connections in pool.
>
> the size of your connection pool shouldn't be much more than 2-3 times
> the CPU core count on the server for optimal throughput... 100 queries
> running at once will grind ANY non-monster server to a standstill
In fact thats what happened when tsearch2 problem occured even though
there was only few queries running at once. Group of idle connections
was using resources and that's the thing I don't understand.
Did tsearch2 dictionary caching implementation improve after 8.3 on this
matter?

Making small connection pool will help, however how small should it be?
1 connection max, 0 connections minimum? Connections will get closed
after they are released by application code, but still there will be
some group of postmaster processes and how can I be sure if none of them
will get 1gb of system memory? I can't have any control over this (other
than grepping ps output and manually pg_cancel_backend them once they
grow too much).

Thanks!

--
Regards,
   Grzegorz

От: John R Pierce
Сообщение: Re: Memory usage per postmaster process
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: [100% SPAM] Re: Memory usage per postmaster process