Re: JSON Path and GIN Questions

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: JSON Path and GIN Questions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Erik Rijkers <er@xs4all.nl> writes:
> p 9/13/23 om 22:01 schreef David E. Wheeler:
>> On Sep 13, 2023, at 01:11, Erik Rijkers <er@xs4all.nl> wrote:
>>> "All use of json*() functions preclude index usage."

>> Where did that come from? Why wouldn’t JSON* functions use indexes? I see that the docs only mention operators; why
wouldthe corresponding functions behave the same?

> Sorry, perhaps my reply was a bit off-topic.
> But you mentioned perhaps touching the docs and
> the not-use-of-index is just so unexpected.

Unexpected to who?  I think the docs make it pretty plain that only
operators on indexed columns are considered as index qualifications.
Admittedly, 11.2 Index Types [1] makes the point only by not
discussing any other case, but when you get to 11.10 Operator Classes
and Operator Families [2] and discover that the entire index definition
mechanism is based around operators not functions, you should be able
to reach that conclusion.  The point is made even more directly in
38.16 Interfacing Extensions to Indexes [3], though I'll concede
that that's not material I'd expect the average PG user to read.
As far as json in particular is concerned, 8.14.4 jsonb Indexing [4]
is pretty clear about what is or is not supported.

            regards, tom lane

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/indexes-types.html
[2] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/indexes-opclass.html
[3] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/xindex.html
[4] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/datatype-json.html#JSON-INDEXING

От: Michael Paquier
Сообщение: Re: Have better wording for snapshot file reading failure
От: Dilip Kumar
Сообщение: Re: [PoC] pg_upgrade: allow to upgrade publisher node