Re: AW: Open Source Database Routs Competition inNew Bench mark Tests

От Don Baccus
Тема Re: AW: Open Source Database Routs Competition inNew Bench mark Tests
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
At 03:26 PM 8/16/00 +0000, Thomas Lockhart wrote:
>> That's how the normal TPC testing is done, I believe.  Except on huge
>> honkin' hardware.
>
>Right. And it's on huge honkin' hardware because you won't see a number
>published which doesn't *win* in the commercial wars. That said, I
>suppose you wouldn't have seen the GB results if they turned out sucky
>for Postgres. You probably wouldn't see GB anywhere if Postgres wasn't
>competitive in performance during their evaluation phase of the company
>startup :)

Exactly!  Little Stick Over River, maybe, but not Great Bridge with
$25M of funding!

>otoh, GB *did* do the tests on hardware representative of equipment
>small- and medium-sized companies would be using, and has been (afaik)
>forthcoming about the test setup (at least to the extent that they can
>given the restrictive licensing of some of the tested products).

They even split index and data files onto different platters in
Ora...oops "Proprietary 1, V8.1.5", seems more than fair ...

От: "Timothy H. Keitt"
Сообщение: Re: geographic coordinate types?
От: Terry Mackintosh
Сообщение: datetime_in()