Re: PostgreSQL 17 Beta 1 release announcement draft

От Jonathan S. Katz
Тема Re: PostgreSQL 17 Beta 1 release announcement draft
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 5/16/24 6:41 AM, Jelte Fennema-Nio wrote:
> On Thu, 16 May 2024 at 03:45, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
>> Attached is a copy of the PostgreSQL 17 Beta 1 release announcement
>> draft.
>
> I think we can quickly mention c4ab7da6061 in the COPY paragraph, in
> some benchmarks it improved perf by close to 2x. Something like this:
> "has improved performance in PostgreSQL 17 when the source encoding
> matches the destination encoding *and when sending large rows from
> server to client*"

(I'm going to make a note to test this with loading large vectors :)
I've modified the text to reflect this. Please see the new language
upthread.

> Also, I think it's a bit weird to put the current COPY paragraph under
> Developer Experience. I think if you want to keep it there instead of
> move it to the per section, we should put the line about IGNORE_ERROR
> first instead of the perf improvements. Now the IGNORE_ERROR addition
> seems more of an afterthought.

I don't agree with this. I think we want to push COPY as a developer
feature - I see a lot of people not utilizing COPY appropriate when it
would really benefit the performance of their app, and I think
emphasizing it as the way to do bulk loads (while touting that it's even
faster!) will help make it more apparent.

> s/IGNORE_ERROR/ON_ERROR

Thanks.

> I think it would be good to clarify if the following applies when
> upgrading from or to PostgreSQL 17:
> "Starting with PostgreSQL 17, you no longer need to drop logical
> replication slots when using pg_upgrade"

Adjusted.

> Finally, I personally would have included a lot more links for the new
> items in this document. Some that would benefit from being a link
> imho:
> - pg_createsubscriber
> - JSON_TABLE
> - SQL/JSON constructor
> - SQL/JSON query functions
> - ON_ERROR
> - sslnegotiation
> - PQchangePassword
> - pg_maintain

I have to check if these have deep links or not, but I was planning to
make another pass once the copy (no pun intended) is closer to
finalized, so I don't have to constantly edit markdown.

Jonathan

Вложения

От: "Jonathan S. Katz"
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL 17 Beta 1 release announcement draft
От: "Jonathan S. Katz"
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL 17 Beta 1 release announcement draft