Re: transitioning postgres oid

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: transitioning postgres oid
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Andrew Sullivan <andrew@libertyrms.info> writes:
> On Tue, May 14, 2002 at 10:15:45AM -0500, Robert Abbate wrote:
>> Actually, if I was able to get the old database up, I wouldn't needed to
>> re-install postgres again. That is my problem. I could not get the old
>> databases up and running at all. I had to do a fresh installation. So now
>> the old databases are just sitting there. Any ideas?

> Ah, sorry.  I should have read farther down.  I guess someone else
> offered a suggestion.  There was also an (apparently unreliable)
> pg_upgrade tool that Bruce Momjian wrote -- it's in contrib/, but
> I've never looked at it.

pg_upgrade is unlikely to work if the input database is corrupt.

In any case, IMHO Robert ought to reinstall his old version and work out
the failure-to-start problem in that context.  Adding a version
discrepancy to the underlying problem isn't going to make his life
better.  After he's resurrected the old database, or at least gotten the
best pg_dump he can out of it, a version update would be a sensible
thing to do.