Re: Solving hash table overrun problems

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Solving hash table overrun problems
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Aaron Birkland <birkie@gmail.com> writes:
> This also brings up a line of thought I had a while ago on a related
> topic.  Something like a "HashDistinct" might be useful, if it had no
> startup cost.  It would basically be a plan node in the executor that
> would dynamically build a hashtable so that it can pull rows from its
> child node (discarding if they appear in the hashtable) until it can
> pass on a novel row.   I have some reservations about it, though.

We already have that: the planner will use a HashAgg node in this
fashion in some contexts (I think just as one of the ways to do IN,
at the moment).  It's not yet bright enough to consider doing it for
SELECT DISTINCT.  The DISTINCT planning code is old and crufty and
pretty tightly interwired with ORDER BY ... it needs work.

От: Evgen Potemkin
Сообщение: Re: SQL99 Hierarchical queries
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: bitmap AM design