Re: [HACKERS] More efficient truncation of pg_stat_activity query strings

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] More efficient truncation of pg_stat_activity query strings
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 3:19 AM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
>> Therefore I wonder if we couldn't just store a querystring that's
>> essentially just a memcpy()ed prefix, and do a pg_mbcliplen() on the
>> read side.

> Interesting idea.  I was (ha, ha, what a coincidence) also thinking
> about this problem and was wondering if we couldn't be a lot smarter
> about pg_mbcliplen().  ...

> for UTF-8, we could do that much more directly: if the string is short
> enough, stop, else, look at cmd_str[pgstat_track_activity_query_size].
> If that character has (c & 0xc0) != 0x80, write a '\0' and stop; else,
> back up until you find a character that for which that continuation
> holds, write a '\0', and stop.  This kind of approach only works if we
> have a definitive test for whether something is a "continuation
> character" which probably isn't true in all encodings, but maybe it's
> still worth considering.

Offhand I think it doesn't work in anything but UTF8.  A way that would
work in all encodings is to back up to the first non-high-bit-set
byte and then mbcliplen from there.  Probably, there's enough ASCII
in typical SQL commands that this would often be a win.

> Your idea is probably a lot simpler to implement, though, and I
> definitely agree that shifting the work from the write side to the
> read side makes sense.  Updating pg_stat_activity is a lot more common
> than reading it.

+1.  I kinda doubt that it is worth optimizing further than that,
really.

От: "Bossart, Nathan"
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] [Proposal] Allow users to specify multiple tables inVACUUM commands
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Use MINVALUE/MAXVALUE instead of UNBOUNDED for range partition b