Re: getting rid of "thread fork emulation" in pgbench?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: getting rid of "thread fork emulation" in pgbench?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Fabien COELHO <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr> writes:
>> And what will you do instead? It would be fine I think for pgbench to
>> not allow --jobs different from 1 on a threadless platform, but not for
>> it to fail to work altogether.

> Sure. No thread really means working with only one thread.

>> It looks to me like allowing it to compile without that code would take
>> nearly as much effort/mess as what's there now.

> My motivation is to simplify how things are done by simply assuming that
> threads are available and can share data, esp for counters.

pgbench does not get to "assume that threads are available", at least
not as long as the project as a whole supports --disable-thread-safety.

As I said, I wouldn't have a problem with restricting the --jobs setting
on threadless platforms, which seems like it would fix your problem since
you wouldn't need to have more than one process involved.

От: Fabien COELHO
Сообщение: Re: getting rid of "thread fork emulation" in pgbench?
От: Fabien COELHO
Сообщение: Re: improve pgbench syntax error messages