Re: psql format output

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: psql format output
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> It's hard to make any general judgment about how wide people's
> terminal windows are likely to be, but it is my opinion that the root
> of the problem is that \df+ just wants to display a whole lot of stuff
> - and as hackers add more function properties in the future, they're
> likely to get added in here as well. This output format doesn't scale
> nicely for that kind of thing, but it's unclear to me what would be
> any better.

I think the complaint is that even with \x mode, which fixes most
complaints of this sort, the arguments are still too wide:

-[ RECORD 1
]-------+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Schema              | pg_catalog
Name                | pg_copy_logical_replication_slot
Result data type    | record
Argument data types | src_slot_name name, dst_slot_name name, OUT slot_name name, OUT lsn pg_lsn
Type                | func
Volatility          | volatile
Parallel            | unsafe
Owner               | postgres
Security            | invoker
Access privileges   |
Language            | internal
Source code         | pg_copy_logical_replication_slot_c
Description         | copy a logical replication slot

The OP wants to fix that by inserting newlines in the "Argument data
types" column, which'd help, but it seems to me to be mostly a kluge.
That's prejudging a lot about how the output will be displayed.
A more SQL-ish way to do things would be to turn the argument items
into a set of rows.  I don't quite see how to make that work here,
but maybe I'm just undercaffeinated as yet.

От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: Refactoring of compression options in pg_basebackup
От: Alvaro Herrera
Сообщение: Re: psql format output