Re: Questions about indexes?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Questions about indexes?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Ryan Bradetich <rbradetich@uswest.net> writes:
> Although the table schema is immaterial, I will provide it so we have a
> common framework for this discussion:

>     host_id        integer     (not null)
>     timestamp    datetime    (not null)
>     category    text        (not null)    [<=    5 chars]
>     anomaly        text        (not null)    [<= 1024 chars]

> This table is used to store archived data, so each row in the table must
> be unique.  Currently I am using a primary key across each column to
> enforce this uniqueness.

It's not real clear to me why you bother enforcing a constraint that the
complete row be unique.  Wouldn't a useful constraint be that the first
three columns be unique?  Even if that's not correct, what's wrong with
tolerating a few duplicates?  You can't tell me it's to save on storage
;-)

> I am not sure why all the data is duplicated in the index ... but i bet
> it has to do with performance since it would save a lookup in the main
> table.

An index that can't prevent looking into the main table wouldn't be
worth anything AFAICS ...