Re: PostgreSQL 17 Beta 1 release announcement draft

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: PostgreSQL 17 Beta 1 release announcement draft
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2024-May-19, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:

> ### Query and Operational Performance Improvements

In this section I'd add mention the new GUCs to control SLRU memory
size, which is going to be a huge performance boon for cases where the
current fixed-size buffers cause bottlenecks.  Perhaps something like

"Increase scalability of transaction, subtransaction and multixact
shared memory buffer handling, and make their buffer sizes configurable".

I don't know if we have any published numbers of the performance
improvement achieved, but with this patch (or ancestor ones) some
systems go from completely unoperational to working perfectly fine.
Maybe the best link is here
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/runtime-config-resource.html#GUC-MULTIXACT-MEMBER-BUFFERS
though exactly which GUC affects any particular user is workload-
dependant, so I'm not sure how best to do it.

> ### Developer Experience

I think this section should also include the libpq query cancellation
improvements Jelte wrote.  Maybe something like "On the client side,
PostgreSQL 17 provides better support for asynchronous and more secure
query cancellation routines in libpq."  --> link to
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/17/libpq-cancel.html

"At least to kernel hackers, who really are human, despite occasional
rumors to the contrary" (LWN.net)

От: Andrei Lepikhov
Сообщение: Re: using extended statistics to improve join estimates
От: Alvaro Herrera
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL 17 Beta 1 release announcement draft