Re: optimizing pg_upgrade's once-in-each-database steps

От Nathan Bossart
Тема Re: optimizing pg_upgrade's once-in-each-database steps
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 16, 2024 at 05:09:55PM -0700, Jeff Davis wrote:
> How much complexity do you avoid by using async instead of multiple
> processes?

If we didn't want to use async, my guess is we'd want to use threads to
avoid complicated IPC.  And if we followed pgbench's example for using
threads, it might end up at a comparable level of complexity, although I'd
bet that threading would be the more complex of the two.  It's hard to say
definitively without coding it up both ways, which might be worth doing.

> Also, did you consider connecting once to each database and running
> many queries? Most of those seem like just checks.

This was the idea behind 347758b.  It may be possible to do more along
these lines.  IMO parallelizing will still be useful even if we do combine
more of the steps.

--
Nathan Bossart

От: Michael Paquier
Сообщение: Re: WAL record CRC calculated incorrectly because of underlying buffer modification
От: Michael Paquier
Сообщение: Re: Why does pgindent's README say to download typedefs.list from the buildfarm?