Re: nchar is undocumented

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: nchar is undocumented
Дата
Re: nchar is undocumented  (Peter Eisentraut <peter@eisentraut.org>)
Список pgsql-docs
On 2024-May-05, David Rowley wrote:

> On Sun, 5 May 2024 at 12:41, Erik Wienhold <ewie@ewie.name> wrote:
> > So, I think we should either remove that one nchar instance (because it
> > doesn't add any real value) or document it properly.  The attached patch
> > does the latter.
>
> It seems easier to do the former, that way we don't need to reconsider
> Peter's concerns about not having enough confidence that it matches
> the standard.
>
> I've included Alvaro and Peter to see what they think.

Yeah, I too am inclined to remove it.  This text was initially written
by Mantrova, Bartunov and Glukhov and posted in [1] without further
explanation, from where it was copied by Glukhov into [2]; the one I
committed is a direct derivate from that.  There was no discussion about
nchar specifically that I can see, and at least I simply failed to
realize that nchar was not something that we talk about.

I'll remove it from the list, and backpatch to 16.

[1] https://postgr.es/m/732208d3-56c3-25a4-8f08-3be1d54ad51b@postgrespro.ru
[2] https://postgr.es/m/8c1ba295-fa42-d4f2-a155-76cf3327d07c@postgrespro.ru
%

If you, Erik, want to spend some time thinking through the standard
definition of NCHAR and whether we conform, perhaps we can document it
more fully.

"Java is clearly an example of money oriented programming"  (A. Stepanov)