Re: Purging few months old data and vacuuming in production

От Peter J. Holzer
Тема Re: Purging few months old data and vacuuming in production
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 2023-01-07 05:33:33 +0000, Ranjith Paliyath wrote:

>         > This is because the deletion step is executed record
>         > by record in main table, with its connected record(s)
>         > delete executions in rest of tables?
>
>     > I don't know if you have ON DELETE CASCADE.  Even if you do,
>     > you'll have to manually delete the tables not linked by FK.
>     > I'd write a PL/pgSQL procedure: pass in a PK and then delete
>     > records from the 9 tables in the proper order so as to not
>     > throw FK constraint errors.
>
> Ok, in the case of our specific 9 tables it would finding and deleting
> linked records in 8 tables based on the record chosen in the main
> table. That is going and deleting records one by one.

If I understood correctly, you have to delete about 3 million records
(worst case) from the main table each day. Including the other 8 tables
those are 27 million DELETE queries each of which deletes only a few
records. That's about 300 queries per second. I'd be worried about
impacting performance on other queries at this rate.

I'd go for a middle ground: Instead of expiring once per day, use a
shorter interval, maybe once per hour or once per minute. That will
(probably) make each expire job really quick but still create much less
load overall.

        hp

Вложения

От: Ranjith Paliyath
Сообщение: RE: Purging few months old data and vacuuming in production
От: Ron
Сообщение: Re: Purging few months old data and vacuuming in production