Re: PostgreSQL 14: pg_dump / pg_restore error: could not write to the communication channel: Broken pipe

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: PostgreSQL 14: pg_dump / pg_restore error: could not write to the communication channel: Broken pipe
Дата
Re: PostgreSQL 14: pg_dump / pg_restore error: could not write to the communication channel: Broken pipe  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general
On 2021-Oct-15, Nick Renders wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been trying to import a Postgres 11 database into Postgres 14, but
> the pg_restore command exits with the following message:
>
>     pg_restore: error: could not write to the communication channel: Broken
> pipe
>
> The command I sent looks like this:
>
>     /Library/PostgreSQL/14/bin/pg_restore -h localhost -p 48100 -U postgres -w
> -C -d template1 -j 24 -Fd /Volumes/Migration/dbname --verbose
>
> It seems that the multiple jobs parameter is the cause. If I specify "-j 1",
> the command works without problems. If I specify "-j 2" or higher, I get the
> above error after a few seconds.

Hi,

Yeah, pg_dump in parallel mode uses a pipe to communicate between leader
and workers; the error you see is what happens when a write to the pipe
fails.  It sounds to me like something in the operating system is
preventing the pipes from working properly.  I don't know anything about
macOS so I can't help you with that.  I can tell you however that this
error has not been reported previously.

--
Álvaro Herrera           39°49'30"S 73°17'W  —  https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"I dream about dreams about dreams", sang the nightingale

От: Maciek Sakrejda
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL 14: pg_dump / pg_restore error: could not write to the communication channel: Broken pipe
От: Ron
Сообщение: Re: "two time periods with only an endpoint in common do not overlap" ???