Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, May 22, 2021 at 07:29:45PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> * Bruce Momjian (bruce@momjian.us) wrote:
> > I have committed the first draft of the PG 14 release notes.  You can
> > see the most current  build of them here:
> >
> >     https://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-14.html
>
> It occurs to me that the wording around the new default roles could
> probably be better.  Specifically:
>
> Add predefined roles pg_read_all_data and pg_write_all_data (Stephen Frost)
>
> These non-login roles give read-only/write-only access to all objects.
>
> Might be better as:
>
> These non-login roles give read, or write, access to all tables, views,
> and sequences.
>
> (These roles don't actually allow, for example, a function to be
> redefined, so saying 'all objects' isn't quite right either.)
>
> While these roles could be used to create a 'read only' or 'write only'
> role, they, themselves, do not explicitly convey that on to a role
> because they don't do anything to prevent someone from GRANT'ing other
> rights to some role which has been GRANT'd these predefined roles.  I
> don't think anyone on this list thought differently from that, but the
> phrasing strikes me as potentially confusing.
>
> Maybe another way would be:
>
> These non-login roles give (only) read, or write, access to all tables,
> views, and sequences.
>
> but I don't think saying 'only' there really adds anything and instead
> invites confusion.

OK, I went with this text:

    <listitem>
    <!--
    Author: Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>
    2021-04-05 [6c3ffd697] Add pg_read_all_data and pg_write_all_data roles
    -->

    <para>
    Add predefined roles <link
    and <structname>pg_write_all_data</structname> (Stephen Frost)
    </para>

    <para>
    These non-login roles can be used to give read or write permission to
    all tables, views, and sequences.
    </para>
    </listitem>

От: Stephen Frost
Сообщение: Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Subscription tests fail under CLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS