Re: Performance degradation of REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Performance degradation of REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2021-05-18 20:34:08 +0200, Tomas Vondra wrote:
> Yeah, I see your point. I agree it's unfortunate there's no way to disable
> freezing during REFRESH MV. For most users that trade-off is probably fine,
> but for some cases (matviews refreshed often, or cases where it's fine to
> pay more but later) it may be an issue.
>
> From this POV, however, it may not be enough to optimize the current
> freezing code - it's always going to be a bit slower than before.

But the intrinsic overhead is *tiny*. Setting a few bits, with the other
costs amortized over a lot of pages. As far as I can tell the measurable
overhead is that the increased WAL logging - which is not necessary.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

От: Tomas Vondra
Сообщение: Re: Performance degradation of REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW
От: Andres Freund
Сообщение: Re: Performance degradation of REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW