Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, May 12, 2021 at 10:06:05AM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 10:45:04PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > OK, so this is where I am confused.  I searched for distinguished name
> > (DN) and came up with DN being a concatentation of all the fields
> > provided to the certificate signing request (CSR).  Is that right?
> > Wouldn't people test _parts_ of the DN, rather than all of it.
>
> +Andrew
>
> The full DN is probably not the postgres username, so the docs suggest that:
> | This option is probably best used in conjunction with a username map.
>
> You're right that clientname=DN allows testing *parts*, of the DN, but I don't
> know if there's any reason to believe that's the typical use case.
>
> The primary utility of clientname=DN seems to be that the CN alone is (or can
> be) ambiguous - matching on the full DN is intended to resolve that.  I think
> the release notes should focus on this.

OK, that matches what I thought.  Here is my updated version:

    <listitem>
    <!--
    Author: Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>
    2021-03-29 [6d7a6feac] Allow matching the DN of a client certificate for
    authen
    -->

    <para>
    Allow the certificate's distinguished name (DN) to be matched for client
    certificate authentication (Andrew Dunstan)
    </para>

    <para>
-->    The new pg_hba.conf keyword "clientname=DN" allows comparison with
-->    certificate attributes beyond the CN and can be combined with ident
-->    maps.
    </para>
    </listitem>

Technically these are attributes of the certificate signing request
(CSR), but I didn't want to mention that here.

От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft
От: Zhihong Yu
Сообщение: naming of async_mode parameter