Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft

От Justin Pryzby
Тема Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 10:35:23AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > | Allow more than the common name (CN) to be matched for client certificate authentication (Andrew Dunstan)
> > Your description makes it sound like arbitrary attributes can be compared.  But
> > the option just allows comparing CN or DN.
>
> OK, new text is:
>
>     <para>
>     Allow the certificate's distinguished name (DN) to be matched for client
>     certificate authentication (Andrew Dunstan)
>     </para>
>
>     <para>
>     The new pg_hba.conf keyword "clientname=DN" allows comparison with
>     non-CN certificate attributes and can be combined with ident maps.
>     </para>
>     </listitem>

I think this part is still misleading.  The option just allows DN/CN, so it's
strange to say "non-CN attributes".

> > | Add date_bin function (John Naylor)
> > This truncate timestamps on an arbitrary interval.
> > Like date_trunc() but also supports eg. '15 minutes', and also uses an arbitrary "origin".
>
> OK, so what I think it returns is the greatest datetime that is a
> multiple of interval values added to origin which is not greater than
> the target date, right?  Am I the only one who finds this unclear?
> Doesn't our documentation of this feature need to explain this?

I think the documentation is okay, myself:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/functions-datetime.html#FUNCTIONS-DATETIME-BIN
| The function date_bin “bins” the input timestamp into the specified interval (the stride)...

Anyway, the release notes have to be at least as succiently as that.

+Allow VACUUM to eagerly add newly deleted btree pages in the free space map (Peter Geoghegan)

say added "to" the FSM

--
Justin

От: Peter Smith
Сообщение: Re: Corrected documentation of data type for the logical replication message formats.
От: Masahiko Sawada
Сообщение: Re: Replication slot stats misgivings