Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 01:44:12PM +0200, Matthias van de Meent wrote:
> On Mon, 10 May 2021 at 08:03, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> >
> > I have committed the first draft of the PG 14 release notes.  You can
> > see the most current  build of them here:
> >         https://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-14.html
> >
> > I need clarification on many items, and the document still needs its
> > items properly ordered, and markup added.  I also expect a lot of
> > feedback.
>
> I noticed that the improvement in bloat control in the HeapAM that I
> know of (3c3b8a4b, 0ff8bbde) weren't documented here. Although each
> can be considered minor, they together can decrease the bloating
> behaviour of certain workloads significantly (and limit the total
> damage), and in my opinion this should be mentioned.
>
> 3c3b8a4b: Returns space claimed for the line pointer array back to the
> page's empty space, so that it can also be used for tuple data.
>
> 0ff8bbde: Allows large tuples to be inserted on pages which have only
> a small amount of data, regardless of fillfactor.
>
> Together they should be able to help significantly in both bloat
> prevention and bloat reduction.

I looked at those items.  I try to mention performance items that enable
new workloads or require some user action to benefit from it.  I am not
sure these two qualify, but can others comments?  Thanks.

От: Pavel Stehule
Сообщение: Re: pg_stat_statements requires compute_query_id
От: Laurenz Albe
Сообщение: Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft