Re: pgsql: autovacuum: handle analyze for partitioned tables

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: pgsql: autovacuum: handle analyze for partitioned tables
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2021-Apr-09, Justin Pryzby wrote:

> One data point: we do DETACH/ATTACH tables during normal operation, before
> type-promoting ALTERs, to avoid worst-case disk use, and to avoid locking the
> table for a long time.  It'd be undesirable (but maybe of no great consequence)
> to trigger an ALTER when we DETACH them, since we'll re-ATTACH it shortly
> afterwards.

You mean to trigger an ANALYZE, not to trigger an ALTER, right?

I think I agree with Tomas: we should do it by default, and offer some
way to turn that off.  I suppose a new reloptions, solely for
partitioned tables, would be the way to do it.

> However, I think DROP should be handled ?

DROP of a partition? ... I would think it should do the same as DETACH,
right?  Inform that however many rows the partition had, are now changed
in ancestors.

--
Álvaro Herrera                            39°49'30"S 73°17'W
"Aprender sin pensar es inútil; pensar sin aprender, peligroso" (Confucio)

От: Tomas Vondra
Сообщение: Re: pgsql: autovacuum: handle analyze for partitioned tables
От: Justin Pryzby
Сообщение: Re: pgsql: autovacuum: handle analyze for partitioned tables