Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 12, 2020 at 01:09:08PM +0900, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> > > commit c6b9204
> > > Author:     Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com>
> > > AuthorDate: Sat Apr 4 12:25:34 2020 -0700
> > > Commit:     Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com>
> > > CommitDate: Sat Apr 4 12:25:34 2020 -0700
> > >
> > >     Skip WAL for new relfilenodes, under wal_level=minimal.
> > >
> > >     Until now, only selected bulk operations (e.g. COPY) did this.  If a
> > >     given relfilenode received both a WAL-skipping COPY and a WAL-logged
> > >     operation (e.g. INSERT), recovery could lose tuples from the COPY.  See
> > >     src/backend/access/transam/README section "Skipping WAL for New
> > >     RelFileNode" for the new coding rules.  Maintainers of table access
> > >     methods should examine that section.
> >
> > OK, so how do we want to document this?  Do I mention in the text below
> > the WAL skipping item that this fixes a bug where a mix of simultaneous
> > COPY and INSERT into a table could lose rows during crash recovery, or
> > create a new item?
>
> FWIW, as dicussed upthread, I suppose that the API change is not going
> to be in relnotes.
>
> something like this?
>
> - Fix bug of WAL-skipping optimiazation
>
> Previously a trasaction doing both of COPY and a WAL-logged operations
> like INSERT while wal_level=minimal can lead to loss of COPY'ed rows
> through crash recovery.  Also this fix extends the WAL-skipping
> optimiazation to all kinds of bulk insert operations.

Uh, that kind of mixes the bug fix and the feature in a way that it is
hard to understand.  How about this?

    Allow skipping of WAL for new tables and indexes if wal_level is
    'minimal' (Kyotaro Horiguchi)

    Relations larger than wal_skip_threshold will have their files
    fsync'ed rather than writing their WAL records.  Previously this
    was done only for COPY operations, but the implementation had a
    bug that could cause data loss during crash recovery.

От: Peter Geoghegan
Сообщение: Re: Our naming of wait events is a disaster.
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Our naming of wait events is a disaster.