Re: Make mesage at end-of-recovery less scary.

От Kyotaro Horiguchi
Тема Re: Make mesage at end-of-recovery less scary.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Thank you for the comments.

At Fri, 28 Feb 2020 16:33:18 +0900, Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote in
> On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 04:01:00PM +0900, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> > Hello, this is a followup thread of [1].
> >
> > # I didn't noticed that the thread didn't cover -hackers..
> >
> > When recovery of any type ends, we see several kinds of error messages
> > that says "WAL is broken".
>
> Have you considered an error context here?  Your patch leads to a bit
> of duplication with the message a bit down of what you are changing
> where the end of local pg_wal is reached.

It is a DEBUG message and it is for the time moving from crash
recovery to archive recovery. I could remove that but decided to leave
it for tracability.

> > +    * reached the end of WAL.  Otherwise something's really wrong and
> > +    * we report just only the errormsg if any. If we don't receive
>
> This sentence sounds strange to me.  Or you meant "Something is wrong,
> so use errormsg as report if it is set"?

The whole comment there follows.
| recovery. If we get here during recovery, we can assume that we
| reached the end of WAL.  Otherwise something's really wrong and
| we report just only the errormsg if any. If we don't receive
| errormsg here, we already logged something.  We don't emit
| "reached end of WAL" in muted messages.

"Othhersise" means "other than the case of recovery".  "Just only the
errmsg" means "show the message not as a part the message "reached end
of WAL".

> > +             * Note: errormsg is alreay translated.
>
> Typo here.

Thanks. Will fix along with "rached".

> > +    if (StandbyMode)
> > +        ereport(actual_emode,
> > +            (errmsg ("rached end of WAL at %X/%X on timeline %u in %s during streaming replication",
>
> StandbyMode happens also with only WAL archiving, depending on if
> primary_conninfo is set or not.

Right. I'll fix it. Maybe to "during standby mode".

> > +    (errmsg ("rached end of WAL at %X/%X on timeline %u in %s during crash recovery",
>
> FWIW, you are introducing three times the same typo, in the same
> word, in three different messages.

They're copy-pasto.  I refrained from constructing an error message
from multiple nonindipendent parts.  Are you suggesting to do so?

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

От: Michael Paquier
Сообщение: Re: Ought to use heap_multi_insert() for pg_attribute/dependinsertions?
От: John Naylor
Сообщение: Re: truncating timestamps on arbitrary intervals